Telemedicine is a branch of modern medicine where the patient health information is exchanged at a great distance, through a series of local and wireless networks. Remote configuration of patients, making the exchange of health information with health care providers, very vulnerable to hostile intrusion.
The HIPAA Compliance criteria makes it mandatory for all covered entities like hospitals, clinics, clearing houses, doctors, medical in insurance and other health care providers at a secure computer system, which follow stringent safety codes. Any failure of HIPAA compliance on the part of health provider, will surely provide strict rules for action, in the form of heavy fines or prosecution.
nomadic or remote configuration of patients make it a challenge for health care providers to maintain the privacy of patient health information. A series of wireless LAN and make the system vulnerable to hackers. Further lack of proper care in remote settings attract hostile intrusion from both, hackers and viruses. To strengthen telemedicine network from unauthorized access, health care providers should incorporate stringent security features in the network and they are:
- All email communications should be encrypted. The email content is encrypted strings of numbers and sent over the network. On the receiving end, the coded message is put back together in its original form with the help of a key. Even if someone manages to obtain it illegally while in transit, coded messages will make no sense to topic.
- Facial recognition system allows service providers to identify patients online, especially in the case of video conferencing.
- Digital ID card is provided to the remote patients after identity verification authorities. The encryption feature and digital signature of the patients in the card verifying users and allow them access online health services.
- to get access to all point-of-service computers the user confirmed, to ensure that only authorized personnel access to the system.
- network should be protected by a firewall and be continuously monitored to detect intrusion. There should be a review of the system, which keeps a record of the time, frequency and nature of hostile attacks, if the internet.
safety net in making health care to provide quality health services to remote patients safely and securely. Patient health privacy is protected and this is in accordance with HIPAA compliance standards. Telemedicine and EMR can safely deliver customized solutions to the health of remote communities.